Thursday, August 30, 2012

AAR: Flight to Germany



 What Worked:

  • The Clothes: I really spent a LOT of time considering our travel attire.   Jammies for the kids to induce bedtime-sleepy thoughts, socks and undies that were kid-tried and tested to ensure I didn’t grab the “wedgie pair” or the “annoying toe seam” pair.  We opted for easy-on shoes, not for security, but for easy on/offs in our seat for sleeping and potty breaks.  I wore a nursing cami and a loose top over it for maximum nursing coverage and yoga pants. (Yes…yoga pants in public. Some of my friends are shuddering in horror. Sorry)   I didn’t want to use the nursing cover on the flight but I wanted my tummy covered while I nursed.  I love layering this way for nursing. I can nurse with only about two square inches of boob showing and that’s pretty much hidden by her head and my shirt.  Also, I had packed another set of clothes plus light weight jackets in the outer pocket of a suitcase so we had clean clothes when we landed. It was really nice to change and spruce up a little after landing! 

  • iPods:  I know, electronic entertainment is not great but seriously, desperate times call for desperate measures. I’m sure people probably thought my kids were “spoiled” with their hand-me-down 1st Gen iPod Touches but let me tell you this: I was a HAPPY and RELAXED Momma as my kids quietly waited for the flight to board and quietly waited out the last three hours on the plan. 



What I Wish I Knew:

  • BWI AMC Family Check-In:  If you are flying with a family, there is a MUCH SHORTER line for family check-in but you can’t see it around the main check in line.  So, walk around the main-check in line and look along the AMC counter. The Family Check-in is to the right of the Main Check in line in front of the AMC counter.  I got in the main line and waited about 10 minutes until I was rescued by a very kind USO volunteer. He helped with our luggage carts and walked us up to the super short family line. 



  • Bulk Head Seating:  It’s a mixed blessing. Yes, you have way more leg room, wiggle room, play-room than in other row. I also don’t think it’s a huge burden to stash my bags in the overhead for take-off because I pulled it out right afterward and just left it on the floor.  Here’s my reservation about the bulkhead seating:  the pull-down screen for the in-flight movie was located on the wall in front of us.  This made it very bright in our seats and I think this contributed to their inability to fall back asleep.   Also, the inflight movie was The Hunger Games.  I loved the book and enjoyed the movie, but just not 24 inches in front of my children’s eyes.  I really objected to this movie choice but there wasn’t much I could do about it.  I wasn’t the only one on the flight and the other parents weren’t too bothered by it since the seatbacks blocked the screen from their little people’s eyes.  If I had the option, I probably would have moved seats. Luckily, my kids slept through the Hunger Games. They were awake, however for the Five Year Engagement (rated R and no, they didn’t edit out any of the nudity) and Salmon Fishing in the Yemen (PG-13 but I think it was mostly for language. The violent scenes were brief.)    I did my best to keep their attention away from the screen but I know they got some eyefuls. 

  • Stroller: I wish I knew that I wouldn’t get my stroller until much later at baggage claim. I also wish I knew about the GIANT staircase and lack of elevator.  If I had known all of this, I would not have brought the stroller and would have reconsidered my carry-ons.



What Didn’t Work:


  • Travel Pillows & Blanket – The kids really liked the pillows and blankets provided by the airline so I was left holding a pile of discarded neck pillows and travel blankets that I had packed, plus my travel pillow and fluffy throw for take-off.  I’m really mixed on whether or not I over-packed.  We really didn’t use the neck pillows and blankets I brought because the airline ones were so comfy. But, if I had been on a different flight, I might have been grateful for them. 



  • Clothes:  As luck would have it, no one spilled anything or puked on me or themselves.  I never saw that one coming!  So, the spare outfits weren’t really needed, though I’m not sure I would fly without them.  Again, maybe I over-packed, but maybe not.



  • Food:  This is pretty much the same as the previous two items. I only used about half the food I carried on board.  I probably could have done with out it, but then again…it’s nice to have in case of emergency!

No comments:

Post a Comment