Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Drum Roll Please....

After many weeks of waiting, wishing, hoping and prayer for a "good" assignment from the RFO Fairy, we finally got the official word on Soldier's next duty station.  I've spent the last few weeks cautiously perusing homes near Ft Benning, GA, researching schools in the area and even looking into memberships at the local CrossFit gym to surprise Soldier.  You PCS Veterans won't be surprised to find that my effort to make this a smooth transition failed when that magic RFO said:  Hohenfels, Germany!  

Wir sind nach Deutschland gehen!!!!

[I just googled that. I hope it says "We are going to Germany!"]

SQUEEEEE!!!!

and

WOAH.
 
We've talked about an OCONUS assignment several times with Germany being tops on the list, but we just thought that was the impossible dream.  Now, it's here and we're thrilled! And yet, I'm also totally overwhelmed.  Wow, we just weren't expecting that.  I mean, we were planning a trip to Disney World in October.  I'm dreading breaking the news to my parents that we'll be in another country.  And, I don't even know where to being with this OCONUS mess.  I've turned to trusty Google but my head is swimming with terms like Command Sponsorship, EFMP Screenings, No-Fee Passports, Travel Orders, SATO, AMC, NTS, UB, GLQ, COLA, OSHA and more.  

Right now, I really wish a book would appear in front of me titled "So You Are Going to Germany: A Step by Step Guide to the OCONUS PCS."

But....back to SQUEEEEE!!! We're going to GERMANY!!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment