Friday, September 27, 2013

Made it to Fall Break!

Today marks the end of our first 8 weeks of home school.  When I planned our schedule for this year, I opted to start a little early and do 8 weeks on and 1 week off, to give us (ME!) a break and time to regroup, if needed.  No joke, I think I'm more giddy about the idea of week off than the kiddos! 

As I sit here at the end of our 8 week session, I feel OK with what we have done.  We are on schedule, according to our curriculum schedules.  Monster Boy is hitting all of his benchmarks and doing well on his assessments.  Bunny Girl is doing MUCH better with the curriculum changes we made a few weeks ago.  The ABEKA K4 moves at a pace that is much more suited to her current level and needs and she is GLOWING with good results now!

We're done with swim lessons for this fall, which is a wonderful thing!  I had hoped to continue through November, but it really, really makes our week easier to not run back and forth to the pool twice a week.  That, combined with a small change to how our daily routine goes, has made a WORLD of difference in our ability to get work done, with smiles all around!   Monster Boy and I are now doing Phonics and Math after lunch, as soon as the girlies go down for their nap.  We originally were doing this in the morning, since I thought Bunny Girl would listen in.  However, it's very clear that he is moving much faster in those subjects than she is ready for.  I also realized that I was fielding so many interruptions from the girls that it was taking us 2 to 2.5 hours to get through the lessons that should have taken an hour, MAX. Now, we do our Bible lesson together in the morning, then our read-aloud books, history and some science.  Bunny Girl comes and goes as she feels like. We typically have time for an art project and some writing before lunch. It's awesome!

Our plans for this week are to do a fun day-trip somewhere. (Tossing around a couple of ideas, depending on the weather! This prego much prefers air conditioning if it's above 85 degrees outside!)  We also have a couple of playdates and lunches planned.  I've got a doctor's appointment, a board meeting and a (hopefully) brief training meeting to attend.  I do plan to sneak some school-ish stuff in this week.  Monster Boy could stand to have some extra Math Facts practice and Bunny Girl could always use some reinforcement of her letters!

So...off we go to fall break! Happy Fall, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment